The undersigned organizations enthusiastically support the Raise the Wage Act of 2019, as introduced by Senators Bernie Sanders (VT) and Patty Murray (WA), Representatives Robert C. “Bobby” Scott (VA), Mark Pocan (WI) and Stephanie Murphy (FL).
If enacted, this legislation would:
- Raise the federal minimum wage to $8.55 this year and increase it over the next five years until it reaches $15 an hour in 2024;
- After 2024, adjust the minimum wage each year to keep pace with growth in the typical worker’s wages;
- Phase out the outdated subminimum wage for tipped workers, which has been frozen at a meager $2.13 since 1991; and,
- Sunset the much criticized ability of employers to pay workers with disabilities a subminimum wage through certificates issued by DOL.
- Phase out the subminimum wage for workers under the age of 20.
[Full letter and list of signatories at link above.]